Sunday, February 05, 2006

The - rigor - of Boxing

As much as I don't necessarily get the idea of boxing as a sport, time and time again, I am confronted with its positive force along with the belief that boxing is a thinking sport. I don't watch the sport not because of the violence per se but American boxing seems far too commercially motivated to be pure sport. But then I guess most sports in the US or for that matter, in the world are propped up by commercial sponsorship; nothing exists without money.

Back in 2004 when Clint Eastwood released his masterful film Million Dollar Baby, I went to see it in the theater and absolutely loved it. Maggie Fitzgerald's (Hillary Swank character) passion for boxing was deeply evident in every part of her being. And such rigor for boxing stood right alongside the harsh brutality of the sport. Maybe the truth is that boxing offers an avenue out of whatever and wherever one might be. It is not necessarily the nature of boxing that helps in the journey out... but one could find release and solace and acceptance via any passionate means - whether it be boxing (sport), or writing, or film, or social work.

For some reason, the rigor of boxing is very compelling. Today's Guardian online has Hanif Kureishi's interview with Amir Khan - 'the future of British boxing...' that sheds some light on the young boxer's life, his views on the precarious state of Muslims (young esp.) in Britain and the paradox of being British, Pakistani and a boxer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Stodghill said...

I don't much get boxing myself - but I can see what you're saying as it being a means of release and acceptance. I found myself watching the superbowl over the weekend and thinking - what is the point and why all the hoopla about american football - but perhaps it is the same thing... a sense of cameraderie, and a way of life for those who live it. Who am I to judge?

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home